How to enrol
Find out all the information you need to enrol on a course at the Confucius Institute.
You can enrol on all of our courses in person at the Confucius Institute reception, between 10am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, or via our online enrolment form
Please ensure that the email you provide in the enrolment form is one that you check regularly as this is the only method of communication that the Confucius Institute will use.
Early enrolment is strongly advised as some courses become full very quickly. If the number of students exceeds the optimum number for a single class, we will split the class into two based on the date of enrolment.
We require a minimum of five students per class. Course feasibility is decided one week before the first class. If not enough students have enrolled then the course will be cancelled and students informed in writing. If already paid, fees will automatically be refunded in full.
A confirmation of enrolment letter will be sent to you as soon as possible after receipt of your enrolment form. Please keep this safe and bring it to the first class of your course. This confirmation is also required for refund or transfer requests.
Please read the terms and conditions carefully before completing your application.
Terms and conditions
Applications and transfers
Enrolment is not complete until payment has been received. Class details will not be provided until payment has been made.
If you wish to attend the first class of a course to ascertain your level then you must seek permission from the Administrative Officer by emailing email@example.com
Transfer of your enrolment to another course may be requested under the following terms:
- An email must be received before the second lesson of your course
- There are places available for an alternative course or you are willing for us to hold your fee in credit for a future course. Credit must be used within the current academic year (September – July). Any amount remaining by the end of the year is forfeit.
- The balance of the fee must be paid if you are transferring to a more expensive course.
Fees are listed alongside each course description. Please note that fees cover tuition only (travel and textbooks are not included).
Discounted fees are offered at the discretion of the Institute, and are available to all students and staff at The University of Manchester.
Payment of fees should be made by credit or debit card via our secure eStore (a link will be sent once the course has been confirmed).
In certain cases, we can also take cash and cheque payments direct to our office. We have no change, so the correct full amount of cash must be provided.
Refund requests will only be accepted under the following terms:
- Applications for a refund must be made in writing or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full refunds will only be made if they are received by the Confucius Institute 5 working days before the start date of the course.
- Students are expected to make the payment prior to the commencement of the classes. Only with exceptional circumstances, considerations will be given to attend a trial class.
- Once payment has been made and the course has started, refunds will only be given for extenuating medical or personal circumstances. Requested refunds of this nature must be accompanied by evidence and will be approved on a case by case basis.
- We encourage each student to consider the time commitment needed for each course and ensure they feel able to attend the majority of lessons.
Keeping in contact
The preferred method of communication is email. Should a lesson be cancelled due to a tutor’s illness or for any other reason, we will contact students by email although we will also attempt to reach students by phone. We strongly advise students to check both email and phone messages before setting out for class.
Remember that any phone number you provide us with needs to accept unidentified callers.