We have a wide selection of reference books on Chinese art, literature, philosophy, science, cooking and much more to help you develop your knowledge of China. We also have plenty of language learning resources - including a range of dictionaries - and a selection of fascinating objects such as opera masks, fans, costumes and traditional games and puzzles.
If you're keen to catch up on the latest news from China, we take regular delivery of a number of periodicals, including:
- China Daily (English)
- Chinese National Geographic (Mandarin)
- Women of China in both (Mandarin and English)
- China Today (Mandarin)
- The People's Daily (Mandarin)
- The Reader (Mandarin)
If you can't find what you're looking for with us, over 2000 books on China donated by Hanban can be found at the John Rylands University Library.
From the 5 September, find us at 180 Waterloo Place on Oxford Road, open from 10am-4pm on weekdays.
Computer facilities are available for those who wish to try out language software or audio video materials. In addition to our in-house packages you can find a huge number of language and cultural learning resources available online, including the following:
- Confucius Institute Online - Tutorials on language and culture for all levels
- China.org.cn - News from China
- LearningChineseOnline.net - Lessons on speaking, reading and writing Mandarin Chinese
- DragonWise - Helps young children to learn through songs and poems
- Chinese Pod - Conversational Chinese lessons in handy bite size chunks
- ChineseTown - Live Chinese tutorials organized into study packages